Picture of the Day: Inside Palais Garnier
INSIDE PALAIS GARNIER
The Palais Garnier is a 1,979-seat opera house built between 1861 and 1875 for the Paris Opera. Originally called the Salle des Capucines because of its location on the Boulevard des Capucines, it soon became known as the Palais Garnier in recognition of its opulence and its architect, Charles Garnier. It was the primary home of the Paris Opera and its associated Paris Opera Ballet until 1989, when a new 2,700-seat house, the Opéra Bastille, with elaborate facilities for set and production changes, opened. The Paris Opera now mainly uses the Palais Garnier for ballet.
One of the most famous buildings in Paris and one of the most famous opera houses in the world, it was also the setting for Gaston Leroux’s 1911 novel, The Phantom of the Opera. [Source]