30 Breathtaking Undersea Photos by Alexander Semenov
Alexander Semenov is the head of the scientific divers team at the White Sea Biological Station (WSBS) in Russia. He’s also a prolific undersea photographer that has graciously shared his incredible work online on countless sites (Flickr, Behance, LiveJournal, 500px) so others may study and marvel at the beauty of the underwater world.
Graduating from Lomonosov’s Moscow State University in the department of Zoology, Alexander specialized in the study of invertebrate animals. While his career has led him around the world, many of the shots in his portfolio (and below) are from his work at the WSBS which is located near the Polar Circle on the coast of Kandalaksha Bay of the White Sea.
The location is remote and the waters are frigid but the biological diversity speaks for itself. Many of the creatures he captures are rare and uncommon so his work is of tremendous value to reasearchers, biologists and scientists. For the rest of us, we are simply thankful that there is such a talented photographer out there capturing the underwater beauty of our planet. The Sifter salutes you Mr. Alexander Semenov! Please keep up the fantastic work and thank you for sharing with the rest of us!
1. Cyanea (jellyfish)
2. Chirolophis japonicus
3. Aurelia sun (jellyfish)
4. Gorgonocephalus arcticus (northern basket stars)
5. Phoca largha (spotted seal)
6. Cyanea (jellyfish)
7. Scorpaenopsis barbata (bearded scorpionfish)
8. Leucothea sp.
9. Solaster endeca (purple sun star)
11. Bougainvillia superciliaris with Hyperia galba
12. Plerogyra sinuosa (bubble coral)
13. Myoxocephalus (shorthorn sculpin)
14. Urticina eques (sea anemone)
15. Cyanea capillata (lion mane’s jellyfish)
17. Asterina pectinifera (starfish)
18. Aurelia aurita sun (jellyfish)
19. Apostichopus japonicus (sea cucumber)
20. Cyanea (jellyfish)
21. Taeniura lymma (bluespotted ribbontail ray)
22. Cyanea capillata with Navaga
23. Arothron hispidus (White-spotted puffer)
24. Lysastrosoma anthosticta
26. Cyanea capillata (lion’s mane jellyfish)
27. Risbecia pulchella (sea slug)
28. Aurelia noir
29. Cyanea capillata (lion’s mane jellyfish)
Thank You and Please Keep up the fantastic work Mr. Semenov!
See more from Alexander Semenov below!
- Alexander Semenov on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/a_semenov/
– Alexander Semenov on Behance: http://www.behance.net/mumrik
– Alexander Semenov’s Blog (in Russian): http://shilovpope.livejournal.com/
– Alexander Semenov on 500px: http://500px.com/Mumrik
If you enjoyed this post, the Sifter highly recommends: