BMW Unveils Stunning Hybrid Concept Car
On July 29, 2009, BMW announced that they would exit Formula 1 at the end of the 2009 season. Dr. Norbert Reithofer, Chairman of the Board of Management of BMW AG explained: “Premium will increasingly be defined in terms of sustainability and environmental compatibility. This is an area in which we want to remain in the lead.” Fast-forward to August 30, 2009 and BMW announces their latest concept, the BMW Vision EfficientDynamics hybrid which will be officially unveiled at the Frankfurt Auto Show later this month. Like the fate of so many concept cars, it is unlikely we will ever see a production vehicle that resembles the breathtaking photographs below, so enjoy them and lets hope this concept becomes a reality.
– Development aim: The performance of a BMW M Car combined with the fuel economy and emission management of a modern small car in the premium class
– Offering a full-hybrid concept, the BMW Vision EfficientDynamics concept car is powered by a three-cylinder turbo-diesel and two electric motors. Overall system output is 262 kW/356 hp, maximum torque 800 Newtonmetres/590 lb-ft. All-wheel drive featuring an electric motor on both the front
and rear axle
– Anticipated performance: Acceleration from a standstill to 100 km/h in 4.8 seconds, top speed 250 km/h (155 mph) (electronically limited), fuel consumption in the EU test cycle 3.76 litres/100 km (equal to 75.1 mph imp), CO2 emissions 99 grams/kilometer
– As a plug-in hybrid, BMW Vision EfficientDynamics is able to cover the entire fuel consumption drive cycle under electric power alone. This reduces the CO2 emission rating to just 50 grams per kilometer
– Electric power is generated without the slightest increase in fuel consumption through a particularly efficient concept of Brake Energy Regeneration.
Energy is stored in 98 lithium polymer cells. The car is able to cover a distance of approximately 50 km/31 miles in the electric mode alone
– The roof and door inserts made of polycarbonate glass automatically become darker as a function of incoming light
– Measuring only 1.24 metres or 48.8″ in height and boasting a sweeping, arch-like roof line, BMW Vision EfficientDynamics offers the slender silhouette of a classic Gran Turismo
– The underfloor of the car is fully covered from front to rear and from one side to the other, thus maintaining a smooth surface to avoid any air swirl liable to increase fuel consumption
– Thanks to the consistent lightweight construction strategy applied on the car, unladen weight according to the DIN standard is limited to 1,395 kg or 3,076 lb
Get the lowdown straight from zee German team below:
All phoographs, information and videos courtesy of BMW GROUP PRESSCLUB GLOBAL
If you enjoyed this article, the Sifter highly recommends: The P120 Combat Edition Fighter by Confederate