2009 Year in Review
Over 400 posts and 1.3 million page views later, TwistedSifter has completed an incredible inaugural year. To herald the year to come, let’s look back at the year that was, and reminisce about some of the most popular posts from 2009.
Before we delve deeper, I want to thank the readers of this site for all of their support, comments, and feedback. How the site began and how you see it today is shaped in large part by insights and input from our incredible community. THANK YOU x infinity, you are greatly appreciated.
5 SELECTIONS FROM ART AND DESIGN
Gears of Bore: The World’s First Belt-Driven Watch
3D Insanity with Only Four Letters
Stormtrooper Inspired Art and Design
5 SELECTIONS FROM NATURE
The Most Popular Tourist Attraction in the World
– One of TwistedSifter’s most popular articles to date, it started with a link from NotCot and Reddit
– It then became popular on Twitter after some influential users (e.g., The Cool Hunter, ArchDaily and PetaPixel) ‘tweeted’ the article
The Highest Waterfall in the World
10 Amazing Facts About Jellyfish
Living Art: Stunning Aqua Forest Aquariums
5 SELECTIONS FROM PROPERTIES, PLACES & STRUCTURES
The Most Expensive Place in Brooklyn, New York
Industrial Renovation: The Giant Gasometers of Vienna
Re-Imagining the Super-Yacht: Wally Hermès Yachts
Canopy Living: The Ultimate Tree House
An Elegant Solution to a Long and Narrow Space
5 SELECTIONS FROM TECH & GADGETS
Why Nerds Rule: Luis Von Ahn and reCAPTCHA
– Another one of TwistedSifter’s most popular articles, it all started with a Stumbleupon submission
– It then hit Twitter with a bang thanks to the highly influential and very lovely BuzzEdition
– This led to influential retweets from social media mavens like: Alyssa Milano, Virginia Madsen, Zaibatsu, Dudeman718 and Adamsconsulting
– The last three may not be household names like Alyssa Milano or Virginia Madsen, but they have great influence and authority in social media, and it gave this little site some incredible exposure, so thank you influencers!
Can Your Boat Dive 100 Feet Under Water?
Experience The Joy of Flight in the Icon A5 Light Sport Aircraft
A Brief Introduction to 3D Printing and Scanning
INSANE: yellowBird 3D Video Technology With Full 360 Viewing
3 SELECTIONS FROM MUSIC
TwistedSifter’s Amazing Animated Gifs Compilation
– Way back in April ’09 when we had about 12 readers, the Sifter released their first string of YouTube videos using the basic yet serviceable Windows Movie Maker
– While not receiving many views or any comments, it did mark a significant change from a link blog to a content producer
– It was early posts like this that influenced the decision to switch from simply posting links to ‘cool articles’ to writing some of our own
The Roots – What they do | Lyrics, Audio and Music Video
Soko – I’ll Kill Her | Brilliant Fan-Made Music Video
5 SELECTIONS FROM SPORTS
The Musings of Mike Tyson – Motivational Quotes
– This was another of TwistedSifter’s most popular posts to date
– It was the first article that made it to the Reddit front page, which promptly caused a major traffic spike and forced the site to be shut down by our [former] host providers
– After another site shutdown thanks to the awesome power of Reddit, TwistedSifter switched hosts in December ’09
What Costs $1.3 Billion, Holds 111,000 people and Has the World’s Biggest TV?
How to Lose $1.93 Million in 7 Hands of Poker
The Longest Par 3 in the World, 900 Yards | Legend Golf & Safari Resort – South Africa
Roger Williamson and the Dutch Grand Prix Tragedy of 1973
MOST COMMENTED STORY TO DATE
Picture of the Day – December 10, 2009
And last but certainly not least is our reader’s favourite weekly post, the FRIDAY SHIRK REPORT, which highlights 20 images, 10 articles and 5 videos from the previous week of sifting.
After 38 volumes of the weekly time-waster, our readers can expect to see the report published every Friday at 8:58 am EST from now til eternity.
2010 is going to be amazing! I hope you come back soon and continue to enjoy the content in this little place on the Internet.